Wednesday, September 19, 2007

911!!!!

I had a crazy little scare today. I went for a walk this morning and was pressed for time because of a doctors appointment. After getting home I took a really quick 3 minute shower and was rushing to feed Ammon before I left. So there I was sitting on our bed watching Montel while I fed him and all of a sudden I heard this LOUD popping/crackling noise. It scared me pretty bad! It was coming from the light fixture on the ceiling. I could not see fire or smoke so I sat there for a second staring up, I guess I was waiting for something to happen. I then started to smell something like burning plastic. I jumped up running to the front door, still feeding Ammon, stopped to get myself together and grabbed my car keys as I went out the door. There I stood in the front yard looking for any sign of smoke or fire, but saw nothing. I looked around to see if any of my neighbors were home. Not a soul. Luckily I had my cell phone in my back pocket, I called Jason, no answer, called again, and again, then I sent him a text - "CALL NOW!!!" He didn't call back (well he did an hour later). I needed to leave for my appointment and wasn't sure what to do. I was standing outside barefoot holding a baby in only a t-shirt and wet diaper. I decided the safest thing to do was to call 911. I told the operator what had happen and that I could not see any smoke or fire. She said "We'll have someone come check it out." When we got off the phone I called the doctors office to let them know I would not be making it in and gave a very little detail why. Sure enough the next thing I heard was sirens headed my way. I got off the phone just as the fire truck pulled up. Oh my goodness, I was so embarrassed! There I was standing at the end of my driveway looking like an idiot, feeling like an idiot (and as white trash as you can get!). The firefighters went in to the house to look around, I'm sure they were thinking, what slobs. Our bed was not made, a basket of clean clothes were waiting to be folded by the bedroom door, Ammon's bouncer and some toys were spread all over the floor. By the closet lay dirty clothes that didn't make it into the hamper (Jason). I wasn't sure at that time what was worse, my house possibly burning to the ground or absolute strangers seeing my filthy bedroom. Using some little gadget they assured me no smoke or fire was in the house and it was safe to return inside. They think it could have been a light bulb or an electrical short. Their suggestion was to get a maid, just kidding, shut off the circuit breaker and have an electrician come and take a look at the wiring. If you know an electrician, or a maid, who is good and cheap let us know.

That was the first time I've called 911. Okay, besides that one time I woke up from a nap and could have sworn to a jury of my peers that the bedroom doorknob was jiggling and someone was inside my house. I was so sure someone had broken in! A polite cop came and checked things out......here is our conversation......
COP: "What happened?"
ME: "I woke up........(see above)"
COP: "Were your three giant dogs in the backyard barking?"
ME: "no" (sheepishly)
COP: "Was the front door unlocked?"
ME: "......no......the deadbolt was locked......." (more sheepishly)
COP: "Any windows unlocked or opened?"
ME: "not that I know of." (feeling a bit like I over-reacted for the first time)
COP: "To make you feel better, since I've been a cop here I've never responded to any kind of break in or anything in this neighborhood."

I was hearing things I guess. Better safe then sorry! Oh yea, then there was that other time we came home late and our dog Nixon had got out of the fence. Jason and I took two separate cars and went throughout the neighborhood searching for him. Neither one of us had found him so we stopped in the street a few houses down, windows rolled down to decide what to do. Some "really cool" guys were at our neighbors house and started telling us to leave, and we were not allowed to stop there. Their exact word were: "U in da wrong Hood!"
***Burleson will NEVER be confused by anybody as a "Hood!" Too many squeeky clean parks and soccer moms!***
We just kept talking and ignored them. Five guys came up to Jason's car screaming and cursing. I was freaking out. They opened up his door and were going to I guess start beating him up. I jumped out of my car and was trying to explain we lived only two houses down and we were looking for our dog, Jason was like "what are you doing?!" They were like "Oh"!! One of them had a paper bag that rolled off the top of Jason's car and I heard glass break. He picked it up and slung it all over the front of my car. I was so furious! They had been induldging in some "adult beverages" and thought they were big and tough. I yelled that I was calling the cops. They left by the time the cops came. Very weird night! We didn't find Nixon, he had been hit by a car and was at the animal shelter, poor guy. We had to put him to sleep two days later. So sad. Maybe we should move? Just kidding, our neighborhood is pretty quiet, honestly. We've never had anything like that happen before or after that incident. Any whossal, I just thought I would share with you my drama for the day. FUN FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

2 comments:

Veronica said...

That is sooo funny! It sounds like something I would do. That is so cool that your friends were all pg at the same time and all had boys! That will be so fun for you!

Missy said...

Okay, so this might be really random, but I found your blog through Mubeen Heaton and since I love to click on the links of other people's blogs I clicked on yours and I think I know you! Were you in either the FW or Hurst single's ward and went to Institute? 'Cause I remember you for some reason, the bubbly personality and blonde curly hair. I'm Missy (Fowkes) Saunders. Just wanted to say Hi and make sure I'm not going crazy!!

johnandmissy.blogspot.com